Lingle resident extinguishes house fire with a garden hose

Logan Dailey/Lingle Guide Lingle Volunteer Firemen, Al Unverzagt, and Matt Scott assess the damage done to a Lingle home caused by a suspected electrical fire.

LINGLE – The Lingle Volunteer Fire Department and Torrington Volunteer Fire Department responded to the 100 block of Leiter Ave. in Lingle, on Aug. 19, for a reported structure fire. Goshen County resident Matt Scott said he was driving through the town of Lingle when he noticed flames coming from the residence.

Scott said the fire started on the porch and traveled up along the wall, next to the front door. The flames then continued towards the roof. Scott contacted his father-in-law and Lingle resident, Al Unverzagt, about the fire. Unverzagt called 911 to report the fire but immediately began to fight the fire with a garden hose.

Scott said three other males came to his and Unverzagt’s aid, and the group was able to get the fire mostly extinguished before emergency services arrived.

Unverzagt noticed a vehicle parked in front of the house and suspected someone was inside. He began knocking on the door to alert the residents. After knocking for a few moments, the occupant of the residence opened the door. The occupant said she didn’t know the house was on fire and was thankful Unverzagt had made her aware.

LVFD and TVFD removed part of the front wall of the house to reveal burned insulation and a partially burned power outlet. LVFD and TVFD ensured the fire was extinguished entirely. LVFD then responded to several small grass fires south of Lingle, which firefighters suspected started from lightning in the area.

Goshen County Emergency Management and a representative from Hart Rescue, a support ministry for first responders, military service members, and their families, responded to the Lingle residence, as well.

Advertisement


Video News
More In Home